Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book: Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman

Six of six in my reading of Nebula Nominees. This is a more than competent fantasy novel. There's an interesting hook: magic is tied in with wine. Certain grapes provide the basis for certain kinds of magic--one syrahesque grape is used to heal wounds, for example.

This is the first in a trilogy, and the story's just getting going by the end of this volume. I fear that the main characters are heading out on a quest as this part of the story ends, but the background as yet is at least rich enough that I've put the next volume on my list of books to watch out for.

One issue I have is that like so many fantasy characters, the hero of this story has tremendous innate talent for magic. Just once I'd like to have a hero outside of Pratchett who's not a naturally gifted swordsman or mage.

No comments:

Post a Comment